Chinese Government Scholarship Program
The Chinese Government Scholarship is a full academic-year scholarship open to University of Minnesota undergraduates or graduate students who want to study at a university in mainland China. These institutions of higher education are authorized by the Ministry of Education of China to accept international students to study in China under the Chinese Government Scholarship program. Students nominated for this scholarship can apply to study at any University of Minnesota partner school in China.
The scholarship covers tuition, room and board, and provides a modest monthly stipend to cover living expenses, books and incidental expenses. International airfare, health insurance, required physicals/immunizations, and any study abroad service fees required by the University of Minnesota are not included.
The Chinese Government Scholarship is made available through the China Center's partnership with the People's Republic of China Consulate General in Chicago and administered by the Chinese Scholarship Council.
- Applicant must be a degree-seeking student at the University of Minnesota
- Applicant must have experience studying Chinese language:
- Undergraduate applicants: Must have completed a minimum of two years of Chinese language instruction
- Graduate applicants: Must have completed a minimum of three years of Chinese language instruction or demonstrate the ability to complete graduate level study or research in Chinese
- Applicant must be under the age of 30
- Chinese citizens are not eligible
- Well-defined objective for applicant's program in China, including a primary focus on the development of language skills
- Strong record of academic achievement
- Strong motivation and potential for independent accomplishment in his/her chosen field
All applications will be reviewed by a committee. The nominated student will be notified within three weeks of the application deadline. The nominee will work with China Center staff to complete the official Chinese Government Scholarship application, select his/her top three preferred Chinese universities, apply for admission to his/her top school, and complete other required University of Minnesota study abroad requirements. The Chinese Ministry of Education and the host Chinese university will issue the letter of admission in June or July.
Past Scholarship Recipients
- Alexander Edwards (2016-20176) at Nankai University
- Pablo Mello da Silva (2016-2017) at Peking University
- Lillian Ouellette-Howitz (2016-2017) at Sichuan University
- Kongmeng Vang (2015-2016) at Sichuan University
- Mace Blank (2014-2015) at Shanghai International Studies University
- Alexander Edwards (2014-2015) at Sichuan University
- Lauren Holder (2013-2014) at Beijing Language and Culture Univesity
- Maria Fuschino (2012-2013) at Tianjin University
- Mansion Smith (2012-2013) at Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Andrew Lee (2011-2012) at East China Normal University
- Joe Miller (2010-2011)
- Laura Kwong (2009 -2010) at Yunnan University
- Kathy Huynh (2009-2010) at South China Normal University
- Chris Decker (2008-2009）
- Ellen Barth (2006-2007) at Xian Jiaotong University
- Adam Ruf (2003-2004) at Beijing Language and Culture University
- Andrea Albright (2001-2002) at Beijing Language and Culture University
- Julie Truong (2001-2002) at Beijing Language and Culture University
Note: This education abroad opportunity is not affiliated with the University of Minnesota and has not been fully vetted. Notification of an opportunity should not be construed as an endorsement by the University of Minnesota. For information regarding participation on any opportunity abroad, contact the Learning Abroad Center on the Twin Cities campus. All other campuses should consult the appropriate education abroad office for their campus. Learn more about nonaffiliated programs.