Travel Resources for the University Community
The China Center and other units on campus provide a wealth of information and resources to support travel to China and the Greater China region by University faculty, staff, and students.
U of M China Office
The University's China Office in Beijing can provide advice and limited services to faculty and staff traveling to China on University business. The office also has individual workspace available with basic office amenities and rooms to host meetings.
Passports and Visa Photos
The UMN Passport Office is an official U.S. State Department passport acceptance facility. The Passport Office accepts passport applications and takes passport photos. Country-specific visa photos are also available.
International Travel Clinic
The International Travel Clinic at the University's Boynton Health Center is an officially designated travel immunization center of the University of Minnesota. The clinic provides adult travel consultations, immunizations, International Certificates of Vaccination, and other health-related travel information for members of the University and the general public.
Technology Issues in China
Accessing and using technology when in China can be challenging. Some University of Minnesota students, staff, and faculty have been unable to access their UMN email and even some University websites while in China. Review the University's technology recommendations for anyone traveling to China.
Language and Culture
The China Center provides limited translation assistance for University faculty, staff, and departments.
- University Agreements with Chinese Partners: Written translation service includes U of M legal contracts and agreements with Chinese partner universities. Please work with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) to draft your agreements with overseas partner universities. The China Center can provide advice and counsel on selecting and working with academic and institutional partners in the Greater China region.
- Business Cards (English to Chinese): Free of charge for U of M business cards for faculty and staff. You will receive a printer-ready file that you can submit to the University's Printing Services for printing at your own expense. Please email a scanned (PDF) copy of your English business card to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for turnaround.
The University of Minnesota China Center provides culture and language instruction to departments to bridge the cultural gap. Topics include Basic Chinese cultural training, Basic Business Chinese, and custom options. Contact us to learn more.
International Student and Scholar Services offers a range of intercultural workshops to help staff members gain greater cultural self-awareness, an understanding of the contributions of international students, and communication skills to improve interactions and relationships with international students, staff, and faculty.
Chinese Language Classes
For-credit Chinese language courses are offered by the U of M Department of Asian Languages and Literatures.
Funding for Travel to China
China Center Scholarships and Exchanges
The China Center offers scholarships and exchanges to support study abroad and other educational experiences in the Greater China region for University of Minnesota students.
International Travel Grants
The GPS Alliance offers International Travel Grants to faculty and P&A staff to support travel for research or conferences or initial project phases.
Health and Safety
Student International Travel Registry
Students, graduate assistants, residents, and fellows are required to register their travel through the Student International Travel Registry, which will facilitate completion of the following requirements:
- Obtain University-approved international travel, health, and security insurance
- Sign a release and waiver
- Provide 24-7 emergency contacts
- Complete health and safety orientation
Faculty and Staff International Travel Registry
University policy requires all faculty and staff to register their international travel conducted for University purposes. Faculty and staff are also given the option to obtain University-approved international travel, health, and security insurance (insurance is mandatory for faculty and staff traveling with students).