Visiting Scholars Initiative
Sping Lin and Ying-Ngoh T. Lin
China Center Visiting Scholars Initiative
The purpose of the Sping Lin and Ying-Ngoh T. Lin China Center Visiting Scholars Initiative is to increase opportunities for University of Minnesota faculty and staff to host visiting scholars who will foster and grow connections with the country and cultures of China. This Initiative offers awards to assist in bringing visiting scholars to the University of Minnesota to help strengthen academic exchange and research and extend the impact of mutual collaborations with China to the greater University of Minnesota campus and community.
Preference will be given to applications that build on existing UMN institutional partnerships, that involve collaborative activities likely to be sustained and enhanced in the future, and that advance strategic international goals and reflect the University's Grand Challenges strategic initiative. Applications that include matching funds from internal or external sources equal to or greater than the amount requested from the University will be preferably reviewed.
Preferred activities include those that develop new, or strengthen existing, institutional and faculty-to-faculty relationships with Chinese partners; support outstanding research projects from across the University that are poised to make significant contributions to their field; and/or increase opportunities for meaningful student engagement.
Examples of fundable activities include:
- Research and academic collaborations
- Conferences, symposia, and workshops
- Data collection and analysis
- Professional consultation and collaboration
- Faculty exchange programs
- Select travel costs, including international airfare (to/from China) for visiting faculty
Funds may not be used for:
- Faculty salary
- Operational support (i.e., permanent staff salary, etc.)
- Allocation of School/Center indirect costs (i.e., facilities, etc.)
- Payments to partner institutions for indirect costs
One award of $7,500 will be offered for scholars visiting in spring 2019, summer 2019, or fall 2019. The application deadline is January 31, 2019.